The game plan for Sunday was to pin baste my quilt. We set the quilt down on the kitchen floor and, since the cats would destroy the quilt if left unattended, we had to finish the job in one session. The first step was to re-measure the quilt top. Then we calculated the size of the fabric pieces for the back. I wanted the back to resemble one of the front blocks: a center of color surrounded by lighter fabrics. Next came cutting out and sewing together the back.
We then set the back down on the kitchen floor and taped it down. On top went the batting then the quilt top. The top was centered using the quilt top seams as guides (that’s what those outer tape segments are for). The next step was to pin it together. The last step was a running stitch along the outer edge for extra stability.